Thursday 15 September 2016

Jackets with autumn in mind

Well, it doesn’t seem right now much like jacket weather with all these record breaking temperatures does it?  But autumn is just around the corner and before we know it there will be chilly mornings to step out in to.  When that almost frosty morning comes around you will be glancing through all those summer togs looking for something a bit warmer and equally sensational.

I love this time of year and really look forward to chilly mornings that turn into golden afternoons and wearing lovely jackets, my own collection grows with a new jacket each year, this year I am designing a shortened version of my Sheba Coat that will also be a little fuller than the previous version.

Here are some examples of jackets that I have made for clients and for my ready to wear range. All these jackets can be tweaked to suit different shapes and sizes, and incorporate any of your own design ideas & fabric choices not forgetting the all important buttons!  



This little Mutka Silk number is sweet and is lined with turquoise and gold cherry blossom satin brockade.  The front skims the body and is finished with wooden toggles.


In the back it is a little more tailored for a soft, comfortable fit.


A very practical jacket is my Oriental, it is a similar shape to the last jacket, but with extra length and lovely big patch pockets on an angle to slip mittened hands into.


Photo 4 – From the side you can see the ¾ length sleeves with their vent which can be made with contrasting fabric inside for a little creative flare.



In the back is the soft tailored outline which skims the hips to just below the bottom.  I made this particular jacket for my sister’s 30th birthday, she loves it because she can fling it on and it always looks fab, she wears it all the time, in fact we often joke about it by me saying, “that’s a lovely jacket, where did you get that” and she replies “oh, it was a little number my personal tailor ran up for me”.


Harris Tweed is deliciously warm for the cooler months and this piece was a client project made with a sumptuous fabric her tailoress Mother had bought over 50 years ago.  The revers have been made with a wool twill that picks up one of the darker tones in the Harris tweed.


From the side you can see the classical tailored pockets and darting at the waistline.


The back is very traditional and you can see the vintage leather buttons at the cuffs here too.  I love using vintage buttons – so much more character and perfect on vintage fabric.


In the pocket detail, you can see the vintage crepe backed satin, also from the client’s Mum’s fabric collection which really sets off the tweed.


Another vintage Harris Tweed jacket made for a client, here the grey tweed has been teamed with turquoise upholstery fabric for the contrast areas.  The covered button was made by the lovely folk at D M Buttons to match the piping and lining of turquoise satin.


 In the back of the Midi Highway there is a box pleat with half belt, this one has a cheeky flower which you get a flash of as the wearer walks along.


Yummy contrast cuffs and tailored pockets here too.


One of my favourite client projects was this jacket made with two tone tweed and decorative panels that have lots of shades of turquoise, green and purple satin ribbon appliqued onto a mix of soft turquoise fabrics and is finished of with matching covered buttons.


The pockets are in seam with a decorative flap and the cuffs as you can see match all the other decorative panels.  It too has turquoise satin lining and matching piping – Turquoise is so popular and suits everybody, at least I’ve not met anyone yet who doesn’t suit that colour.


This jacket makes me wish I was a size 12! (The size I made it in.)  Made with gorgeously velvety two tone chunky corduroy it is scrumptiously soft to the touch.  I am especially pleased with the piping, corduroy makes amazing piping and looks like corded rope because of being cut on the bias.  The vintage buttons with matching grey buttonholes set off the grey panels.


And the cheeky pleat and contrast cuffs completes this delicious jacket which is one of my off the peg jackets that you can come and see at one of the craft fairs I will be exhibiting at.

This year I have had a number of themes for my craft fair offerings to keep things fresh, September’s theme is waistcoats and next month, October, will have Jackets as the main theme and I hope to see you at;

Crafts at the Exchange, Saturday 1st October, The Exchange, Sturminster Newton, 9am-1pm

Tinker Belles Market, Sunday 2nd October, Stourton Village Hall, Stourhead, 10am-5pm

Gillingham Arts & Craft Market, Saturday 29th October, Gillingham Methodist Church, 10am-1pm.

My next date in September is at Gillingham Arts & Craft Market on Saturday 24th September, I have also started to make new bags ready to tie in with this seasons new colours – look out in the next few days for my next post which will be a look at those Autumn/Winter colours.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment