Tuesday 22 March 2016

Tinker Belles Market Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th March 2016

Set among the springtime greenery of the National Trust Stourhead Estate, Stourton Village Hall, which is the venue for the Tinker Belles Market, is a gorgeous setting to showcase all the scrummy work on show yesterday and Saturday.

Putting the finishing touches to our stalls before opening on Saturday morning and checking out all the lovely things on each others pitches
We set up in the morning to open the doors at 10am on Saturday 19th, the day started a bit grey outside but we were perky and looking forward to a good weekend, it is always nice to check out what our fellows have, it can be pretty inspirational too, sharing other good venues, top tips and cooing and ahh-ing over each other’s goods. While catching up with Gylla Pens, lovely hand turned pens made with Dorset wood, we were chatting about buttons, I had asked about having some made a while back and they are being made as we speak and I am really looking forward to seeing how they come out.  I love using local products and buttons made from local wood on my jackets would be really special.

My area set up and ready to go, I like the Wedding Dress contrasted with the Butterfly Sheba Coat
This month and next I am focusing on the wedding season so the Silk Wedding Dress I made recently is taking centre stage.  Given that it is still a bit chilly out I thought it would be a good idea to put the Butterfly Sheba Coat on the other stand for this show, it made such a lovely contrast to the wedding dress and is a show stopper in its own right.  There is a new bag on show too, made with satin ribbons and in a similar colour way to the wedding dress so nestles on the table in front of the dress.

The wood burner has just been lit to keep us all toasty for the day and we are waiting with hope for a stampede of visitors
Just as the doors opened the wood burner was lit and I noticed how lovely the window is above, the hall is so light and airy and everyone’s work looks great, so here we all are chatting before a jolly busy day and catching up with our friends.


A very good day on Saturday, the weather is perfect to bring in lots of customers
Once the day got going there was a good steady stream of visitors and customers. Visitors to Stourhead pass right by the door to the hall and the attractive signage of Tinker Belles is a big draw to get folk in through the door.  It was that that got me in the door the year before last to make enquiries to the organisers Teresa and Carey to exhibit at future markets, and here I am enjoying the lovely atmosphere and excellent marketing opportunity for my business.  Sales were nice and steady all day and I had such a nice time chatting with people who had not come across my work before.

Lots of sales all round on Sunday, even more folk through the door than on Saturday, it was great
Crickey, what a busy Sunday morning, all the car parks were packed and I had a lovely, if unplanned, walk from the top car park as there were so many early visitors to Stourhead.  The day was really busy from the get go and it was a real delight to get to speak to so many nice people. There were at least twice as many in through the door compared to Saturday and I got talk about my work to hundreds of people!


As the day went on it just got busier and busier and at the close of the day the sun shone brilliantly - a wonderful note to end the weekend on

As the day went on the numbers kept going up and up.  Among the groups who came in the door were some of my clients with their friends and families; it was great to have a catch up and they told their companions all about the work I had done for them, personal recommendation is the best PR in the world. One of those I spoke to in the afternoon was a lovely young woman who was deeply interested in all things creative; she took time to talk at length with many of us who were exhibiting our work and it was wonderful to bounce ideas around with her, I find young people so inspiring because they make such creative leaps, teenagers are cool.  To round the day off perfectly, the sun came out from behind the clouds and gave us a stunning evening before setting, it was pure joy to walk up and collect my car ready for loading up.

The whole weekend was fantastic and Carey & Teresa have my grateful thanks for creating such a lovely atmosphere.  I have booked an extra date to exhibit on Sunday June 5th as well as the previously booked date in October, and as I sit here I am wondering why I have not booked a day on the last market nearer to Christmas, methinks I will revisit that thought when I check out my diary for later in the year.

Next Tinker Belles Market is on Saturday 4th & Sunday 5thJune, 10am-5pm and I will be there on the Sunday, look forward to seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment